Most al Qaeda leaders in Iraq killed: US general
Washington: The top US commander in Iraq said on
Saturday that most of the top leaders of al Qaeda’s affiliate in
Iraq have been captured or killed over the past three months.
Gen. Ray Odierno also told a news conference at the
Pentagon that he is confident that he can safely reduce US
troops levels to 50,000 by the end of August, as promised by
President Barack Obama.
There are now 88,000 US troops there, the general said.
Odierno said he expect al Qaeda in Iraq to remain a
problem for years, despite its recent losses.
"Over the last 90 days or so we have either picked up or
killed 34 of the top 42 al Qaeda in Iraq leaders," he said.
Even with those setbacks, the militant organisation is
trying to reconstitute itself, he said.
Odierno also said he does not believe that security in
Iraq will deteriorate during the period of US withdrawal. He
said the reason is that Iraqi forces are taking the security
lead throughout the country, with US troops mainly advising
and assisting them.
Odierno met with Obama on Wednesday at the White House.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!