Most Americans still associate Al Jazeera with al Qaeda
Washington: A majority of people in the United States associate Qatar-based Television network Al Jazeera with al Qaeda, an expert has said.
Robert Thompson of the Bleier Centre for Television and Popular Culture at Syracuse University pointed out that only a relatively small percentage of American population sees it as the award-winning, old-school journalism institution that it is.
Al-Jazeera has acquired Current TV, the channel founded by former US president Al Gore and business partner Joel Hyatt.
According to the New York Daily News, Thompson believes the new network’s target audience is likely to be people from the Middle East and others who are open to viewers who want to get their news from a wider perspective than US networks provide.
Either way, launching a new cable channel will be difficult, he warned.
Some reports have suggested that Al-Jazeera will close Current TV and replace it with a new network, Al-Jazeera America.
The acquisition could extend Al-Jazeera`s reach beyond a few large US metropolitan areas, where some people can watch Al-Jazeera English.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says