Most Americans support background checks on gun buyers: Poll
Washington: A strong majority of Americans not only support requiring background checks for all gun purchases, but also support requiring gun sellers to keep a record of their sales, a new poll has found.
According to the HuffPost/YouGov Poll, 73 percent of Americans said they favour background checks for all gun purchases, including private ones and those at gun shows as compared to only 15 percent who opposed the move.
The survey found that support for requiring gun sellers to keep a record of every sale is just as high as support for background checks, with 74 percent in favor as compared to 16 percent who opposed, the Huffington Post reports.
The findings come at a crucial time for gun control advocates who are preparing background-check legislation for a Senate vote in a few weeks.
According to the report, both the background check and record-keeping proposals receive support from nine of every 10 Democrats in the survey, as well as from more than 60 percent of both Republicans and independents.
By a 57 percent to 32 percent margin, respondents said they favor requiring all owners to register guns with a national registry.
The poll found that 14 percent of respondents personally purchased a gun within the past five years. Among those who had, a quarter said that they had not had a background check the last time they bought a gun, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters