Most Americans want immigration fix, differ on how
Washington: As the US Congress opened a debate on comprehensive immigration reforms, a poll found wide variation in the Americans` views on how to deal with 11 million undocumented immigrants, including some 260,000 Indians.
A new poll by the Pew Research Centre found three in four Americans saying immigration policy needs at least major changes, with 35 percent suggesting it needs to be "completely rebuilt". About 73 percent of those polled said there should be a way for illegal immigrants already in the US who meet certain requirements to stay here.
But fewer than half (44 percent) favoured allowing those here illegally to apply for US citizenship, while 25 percent think permanent legal status is more appropriate. These views are virtually unchanged from March, suggesting that last month`s bombings at the Boston Marathon have had little effect on overall public opinion on this issue, Pew said
When it comes to legal immigration, relatively few (31 percent) see current levels as satisfactory, but there is no consensus as to whether the level of legal immigration should be decreased (36 percent) or increased (25 percent), the survey found.
Securing US borders looms over the debate, the poll found with 53 percent of Americans saying there is a lot more that the government can be doing to reduce illegal immigration at US borders.
Just 13 percent believed there is little or nothing more the government can do to tighten border security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof