Mother killed, 5 hurt in gunbattle at US mall
Sacramento: A mother loading her
2-year-old son into a sport utility vehicle was killed and five others were wounded in a gunbattle at a shopping center
in south Sacramento, authorities has said.
Two men were inside a barber shop just before 1 p m
when two other men came in and started shooting yesterday,
said Sacramento County Sheriff`s Sgt Tim Curran.
The men in the barber shop were armed and returned
fire, Curran said.
The gunbattle apparently moved into the parking lot
with at least one of the suspects getting into a white sedan.
Curran said the gunfire continued as some of the suspects got
A bullet struck the 30-year-old woman in the chest
just after she put her son into the child seat of her Chevy
Tahoe, Curran said. The woman was pronounced dead at the
scene; the child was unhurt and has been placed under child
"We believe she`s a totally innocent victim," Curran
Four of the five men injured in the gunbattle have
been taken to local hospitals, including an unidentified man
with life-threatening injuries who was shot in the chest,
A 37-year-old man, who was one of the barbers working
inside the shop, was shot in the ankle. A 28-year-old man was
shot in the shoulder and leg. Another man whose age was
unknown suffered a leg wound.
The fifth man, a 39-year-old male, suffered a grazing wound.
Authorities have not released the identities of the
victims. No charges have been filed.
"They are all being treated as victims. We do believe
there`s a high probability that those we are with are suspects," Curran said.
He said the shopping mall in south Sacramento has been
taped off and authorities have found multiple shell casings on
the ground. The gunfire damaged several vehicles in the
parking lot, including a Chinese restaurant across the street
about 180 meters away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre