Mother of 9-year-old Iraqi suicide bomber arrested
Baghdad: Iraqi security forces have arrested
a woman whose boyfriend convinced her to send her little boy
on a suicide mission and then failed to stop the attack after
she had a change of heart, police said.
Sunni widow Suad al-Obaidi, 47, was arrested yesterday
along with her allegedly al Qaeda boyfriend, after attacks on
anti-Qaeda Sahwa (Awakening) militia in Diyala province a day
earlier, a Diyala police officer said.
She was arrested in Diyala province, while the boyfriend,
Hamid Alwan, 53, was detained in Baghdad.
According to the officer, Alwan convinced Obaidi to send
nine-year-old Murtada Latif Kadhem to bomb a Shiite mosque in
Khales, north of Baghdad, several years ago.
Alwan "took her son with her ... by car to the Shiite
mosque but, on the way there, she started to cry about her
son," the officer said.
"He put her out of the car, and took the son, who was
wearing an explosive belt, to the mosque," where "he blew
Security officials said the December 29, 2006 attack
killed at least nine people, including the imam of the mosque,
and wounded at least eight.
A few months later, Alwan tried to convince Suad to send
her 18-year-old son Kadhem Latif Kadhem on a suicide attack,
but he fled to the home of his married sister, Hanna.
Diyala province, north of Baghdad, was the scene of
bloody sectarian fighting that left thousands dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared