Mother of China`s rape victim to sue govt over compensation
Beijing: A Chinese woman, who was ordered to serve 18 months` labour over campaign for tougher punishment for those who raped and forced her underage daughter into prostitution, said she plans to sue the government for denying her plea for compensation for the time she spent in detention.
Tang Hui was sent to a re-education through labour center in China`s Hunan province on August 2 for "disturbing social order and exerting a negative impact on society" by protesting in front of government buildings demanding harsher punishments for the men convicted of raping and prostituting her 11-year-old daughter.
She was released eight days later, as the centre said her daughter, 17-year-old now, is still a minor and required the mother`s care.
Her daughter was abducted in 2006 in Yongzhou and was raped and forced to work as a prostitute until her rescue in December of the same year.
"I thought that I could get a fair outcome nearly half a year after being released from the labor camp," Tang said.
"The rejection of my demand for state compensation hurt me for the second time," she said, adding she would file a lawsuit with the help of her lawyer.
Yesterday, authorities rejected Tang`s demand for state compensation, saying her term was given in line with regulations on re-education through labour and that the decision to release her was based on humanitarian reasons.
Last year, the Hunan Provincial Higher People`s Court had sentenced two of the girl`s kidnappers to death. Four others were given life sentences and another one received a 15-year term.
Before and after the sentences were handed down, Tang had repeatedly petitioned in front of government buildings, complaining that the local police had falsified evidence to reduce the sentences of those involved in her daughter`s case.
Her determination to pursue justice comes in the backdrop of Chinese official media highlighting the fall out of the death of Delhi rape victim and its fallout projecting failure of Indian democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly