Mountaineers to climb Mt Kilimanjaro for Mandela`s birthday
Johannesburg: A three-member team of mountaineers on Sunday began their ascent to Africa`s highest mountain, Mount Kilimanjaro, aiming to reach the summit on the birthday of anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela on July 18.
The former South African president continues to be in a critical but stable condition more than a month after his admission to hospital for a recurring lung ailment.
The `Trek for Mandela` team is led by Sibusiso Vilane, who achieved fame by becoming the first black African to scale the highest peaks on all continents.
The trio are seeking to scale the mountain in Tanzania to raise funds to provide for sanitary needs to 500 schoolgirls for a year.
In a statement, Vilane said the team considered it a great honour to undertake the project in the name of a man who cared so deeply for humanity.
Meanwhile, prayers for the beloved leader continued to pour in from across the country. The latest report from the Presidency has described Mandela`s condition as critical but stable.
South African President Jacob Zuma has called on all citizens to spend Mandela`s birthday by doing 67 minutes of community service to commemorate the number of years he spent fighting for the democracy in his homeland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH