Mozambique storms, floods kill 12: police: State Media
Maputo: Lightning killed eight
churchgoers in central Mozambique with a separate storm and
floods raising the death toll to 12, police and state media
said on Wednesday.
"The group was meeting under a tree when the
thunderstorm started," in Mossurize district in Manica
province close to the border with Zimbabwe on Sunday,
provincial police spokesman Belmiro Mutadiwa said.
A disaster management official said on January 7 that
heavy rain in the next two months in Mozambique could cause
massive floods comparable to devastating downpours that killed
800 people in 2000.
Lightning in Gondola district near the Manica
provincial capital Chimoio killed one person on Monday,
Mutadiwa said, while state media reported that a storm and
flash floods in the city killed three other people that same
British consulting firm Maplecroft last year rated
Mozambique the second country in the world most vulnerable to
natural disasters after Haiti, which was hit by a massive 7.0
magnitude earthquake 12 months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof