Mubarak, kin put under house arrest
Cairo: Egypt`s former president Hosni Mubarak, who was ousted in a mass uprising last month, is under house arrest along with his family, the ruling military informed, rubbishing reports that the de-throned leader had fled to Saudi Arabia.
The announcement came on the Facebook page of the supreme council of the armed forces and is intended to quash rumours that Mubarak had taken refuge in Saudi Arabia following in footsteps of Tunisia`s Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.
"The news of the departure of former president Mohamed Hosni Mubarak to Tabuk in Saudi Arabia is not true, as he is under house arrest along with his family," read the statement.
The caretaker government had earlier frozen the assets of Mubarak and his family and banned them from travelling abroad. The statement said such allegations "only serve the enemies of the revolution and aim to spread strife and chaos in this historic moment for our beloved Egypt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today