Mubarak, kin put under house arrest
Cairo: Egypt`s former president Hosni Mubarak, who was ousted in a mass uprising last month, is under house arrest along with his family, the ruling military informed, rubbishing reports that the de-throned leader had fled to Saudi Arabia.
The announcement came on the Facebook page of the supreme council of the armed forces and is intended to quash rumours that Mubarak had taken refuge in Saudi Arabia following in footsteps of Tunisia`s Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.
"The news of the departure of former president Mohamed Hosni Mubarak to Tabuk in Saudi Arabia is not true, as he is under house arrest along with his family," read the statement.
The caretaker government had earlier frozen the assets of Mubarak and his family and banned them from travelling abroad. The statement said such allegations "only serve the enemies of the revolution and aim to spread strife and chaos in this historic moment for our beloved Egypt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon