Mubarak, kin put under house arrest
Cairo: Egypt`s former president Hosni Mubarak, who was ousted in a mass uprising last month, is under house arrest along with his family, the ruling military informed, rubbishing reports that the de-throned leader had fled to Saudi Arabia.
The announcement came on the Facebook page of the supreme council of the armed forces and is intended to quash rumours that Mubarak had taken refuge in Saudi Arabia following in footsteps of Tunisia`s Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.
"The news of the departure of former president Mohamed Hosni Mubarak to Tabuk in Saudi Arabia is not true, as he is under house arrest along with his family," read the statement.
The caretaker government had earlier frozen the assets of Mubarak and his family and banned them from travelling abroad. The statement said such allegations "only serve the enemies of the revolution and aim to spread strife and chaos in this historic moment for our beloved Egypt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note