Mubarak refuses food, medicine in prison
Cairo: Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak has declined food and medicine since being taken to a prison after a court sentenced him to life behind bars for his role in the death of protestors last year.
In Cairo`s Tora prison, Mubarak`s mood has been bad "to the point of not even responding to those who greet him", said the el-Fagr newspaper.
Ever since the trial began in August, the 84-year-old Mubarak was detained in the International Medical Center, a facility run by the military near Cairo.
Mubarak and his former security chief Habib al-Adly were both convicted for the killings of around 900 protestors. They received life sentences.
Once the helicopter transporting Mubarak arrived at Tora prison, the ousted leader refused to leave the aircraft.
Security officials said he "suffered from a surprise health crisis" before they finally convinced him to go into the prison.
Mubarak was president for almost 30 years. He stepped down in February 2011 amid mass nationwide protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...