Mubarak refuses food, medicine in prison
Cairo: Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak has declined food and medicine since being taken to a prison after a court sentenced him to life behind bars for his role in the death of protestors last year.
In Cairo`s Tora prison, Mubarak`s mood has been bad "to the point of not even responding to those who greet him", said the el-Fagr newspaper.
Ever since the trial began in August, the 84-year-old Mubarak was detained in the International Medical Center, a facility run by the military near Cairo.
Mubarak and his former security chief Habib al-Adly were both convicted for the killings of around 900 protestors. They received life sentences.
Once the helicopter transporting Mubarak arrived at Tora prison, the ousted leader refused to leave the aircraft.
Security officials said he "suffered from a surprise health crisis" before they finally convinced him to go into the prison.
Mubarak was president for almost 30 years. He stepped down in February 2011 amid mass nationwide protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire