Mubarak will not seek medical treatment in Germany: Suleiman
Cairo: Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak will not leave his country for medical care in Germany; Vice President Omar Suleiman was quoted by local newspapers as saying Wednesday.
"President Mubarak is in good health. We thank (Chancellor Angela) Merkel for the invitation, which we see as blatant interference in our internal affairs," Suleiman said.
German politicians have supported the idea that Mubarak could come to Germany for an extended health check, but Berlin has not issued an invitation, and says that Egypt has made no such request either.
Protesters in Egypt continue to call for Mubarak`s immediate resignation. There has been speculation that the statesman, who has ruled Egypt for nearly 30 years, might seek medical care abroad as a face-saving way of leaving Cairo without resigning.
Last March, the 82-year-old had his gall-bladder removed at the Heidelberg University Clinic in Germany, after being diagnosed with a serious inflammation.
Anti-government protests have been taking place in Egypt every day since Jan 25, calling not only for Mubarak`s ouster, but also the dissolution of parliament and constitutional reforms.
Germany had announced last week a freeze on all military exports to Egypt, but continues to supply development aid to the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened