Mubarak`s condition shows `slight` improvement
Cairo: Hosni Mubarak`s condition on Wednesday showed "slight" improvement and the ousted president was visited in his prison hospital by a physiotherapist to treat him for bed sores. But security officials said he is refusing prison food and is suspicious of his doctors.
The officials at Torah prison, where the 84-year-old Mubarak is serving a life sentence, said he ate yogurt and drank juice, apparently brought in by visitors. He was being given liquids and vitamins intravenously. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the media.
Mubarak`s two sons, detained in Torah while awaiting trial on charges of insider trading, were by his side in the intensive care unit of the prison`s hospital.
Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison on June 2 for failing to prevent the killing of protesters during the uprising that toppled his regime 16 months ago. His lawyer, Farid El-Deeb, said on Monday that Mubarak did not trust his doctors and feared they were out to kill him.
Since his arrival at the prison directly after his sentencing, Mubarak has been suffering from high blood pressure and breathing difficulties and deep depression, according to prison officials.
On Monday, doctors used a defibrillator on him twice after they could not find his pulse.
His lawyer said the decision to transfer him to the prison hospital was a surprise to him and his team, because despite pressure from parliament and protesters to send Mubarak to prison, his doctors had said his condition does not permit it.
Since he was detained in April 2011, Mubarak had spent time in a luxury suite of a hospital in his favorite Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. He was later transferred to a military hospital on the outskirts of Cairo after his trial began in August, where he was regularly visited by family, and where he was said to have exercised and appeared in pictures on his feet, unlike his appearances in court on a stretcher.
After he was sentenced, Mubarak refused to leave the helicopter that transferred him to the prison for hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender