Mubarak`s fate up to Egyptian people: Hillary
Tromso: US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton isn`t commenting directly on the life-in-prison sentence handed down to ousted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, but says his fate is "up to the Egyptian people, their judicial system and their government."
The 84-year-old Mubarak, an American ally who ruled for decades, was sentenced Saturday for failing to stop the killing of protesters during the uprising that forced him from power in 2011.
Hillary is praising Egypt for what she says was the recent free and fair election for president that is a further sign of Egypt`s progress in its democratic transition.
The initial presidential vote has set up a mid-June contest between Mubarak`s last prime minister and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, a fundamentalist Islamist group that Mubarak long persecuted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning