Mubarak`s former aide jailed for corruption
Cairo: A close aide of former Egyptian strongman Hosni Mubarak was on Sunday jailed for seven years by a criminal court on charges of corruption.
Zakaria Azmi, who served as the chief of staff during Mubarak`s tenure, was also asked to pay a fine of USD 6.05 million for misusing power to get undue economic benefits, the Ahram Online reported.
Known as a powerful and influential figure in Mubarak`s circle, Azmi, who was with the deposed leader since 1989, was detained in April last year and was put on trial in October.
The court also fined Azmi`s wife Bahia Halawa of same amount. His brother-in-law, Gamal Halawa, was also sentenced in absentia to a year in prison.
Azmi was considered an influential figure in the presidency and in the now-dissolved National Democratic Party.
He joins a host of former ministers and officials handed jail sentences following a sweeping investigation into corruption allegations after the uprising that ended Mubarak`s three decade rule.
The verdict comes a week before Mubarak himself is due to be sentenced after a trial in which he faced charges of complicity in the killing of protesters during the popular uprising that toppled his regime last year.
Mubarak`s two sons are with him in the case and like their father face corruption charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what