Mubarak`s release ordered over killings, held on graft charges
Cairo: Deposed Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak on Monday won an appeal for his release over the killing of hundreds of protesters during the revolution that toppled his dictatorial regime but will remain in custody for corruption charges.
An Appeals Court examined a request submitted by Mubarak`s lawyer Farid al-Deeb for the release of the 84-year-old on the grounds that the period of provisional detention has expired.
The court granted his petition, technically freeing him in the case involving the killing of non-violent protesters during the 2011 uprising that brought him down. But the court ordered him to remain detained in connection with other cases, state TV said.
Mubarak will remain in custody pending investigations over corruption charges related to the misuse of funds allocated for the renovation of presidential palaces, Egypt Independent reported.
The memorandum submitted by Deeb argued that Mubarak`s provisional detention, which started in April, 2011, has ended because two years have lapsed since the start of his trial.
Prosecutors told the Cairo Criminal Court that the time the former president has already spent in detention exceeded the legal limit for custody detention and there would be no legal reason for him to detained.
Mubarak`s earlier trial ended in early June 2012, when he was sentenced to 25 years in prison, the maximum amount of jail time in Egypt. The former president challenged the ruling, and the courts granted him a retrial.
Mubarak`s retrial on Saturday was indefinitely adjourned after presiding judge Mostafa Hassan withdrew from the case and referred it to a lower court.
Mubarak, who was toppled in January, 2011, during the Arab Spring uprising, has suffered several health scares and MENA even reported him clinically dead at one point. He is currently being treated at a military hospital here.
Mubarak`s sons, Alaa and Gamal, also arrived at the Police Academy today to attend a court session that will rule on their release pending review of a case in which they are charged with financial corruption.
Mubarak`s former interior minister Habib al-Adly was sentenced to life last year for contributing to the killing of protesters, and for five and 12 years for corruption charges.
Business tycoon Salem is being tried in absentia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi