Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital?
London: Long-time Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe - affected by a mystery illness - is fighting for life in a hospital in Singapore, a British media report said.
The 88-year-old leader is reportedly having intensive treatment. He was flown to Singapore last week after he collapsed at his home, The Sun reported.
It was later claimed Mugabe had gone to see his daughter enrolled at a university in Singapore.
Family members joined him during the weekend, and the Zimbabwe government postponed a cabinet meeting.
Officials said he will be home soon, and was celebrating his "Easter holidays".
A leaked 2008 US diplomatic cable suggested Mugabe has prostate cancer.
Mugabe, in office since 1980, was a key figure in the struggle for independence from colonial power Britain.
In 2008, his ruling ZANU-PF party lost the parliamentary majority and opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai defeated Mugabe in the presidential vote. There was a run-off, and Tsvangirai withdrew because of alleged attacks on his supporters.
Under international pressure, Mugabe agreed to a power-sharing deal with Tsvangirai, who was made prime minister.
According to BBC, Mugabe believes in the "African liberationist tradition of the 1960s" - strong and ruthless leadership, anti-Western, suspicious of capitalism and deeply intolerant of dissent and opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!