Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital?
London: Long-time Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe - affected by a mystery illness - is fighting for life in a hospital in Singapore, a British media report said.
The 88-year-old leader is reportedly having intensive treatment. He was flown to Singapore last week after he collapsed at his home, The Sun reported.
It was later claimed Mugabe had gone to see his daughter enrolled at a university in Singapore.
Family members joined him during the weekend, and the Zimbabwe government postponed a cabinet meeting.
Officials said he will be home soon, and was celebrating his "Easter holidays".
A leaked 2008 US diplomatic cable suggested Mugabe has prostate cancer.
Mugabe, in office since 1980, was a key figure in the struggle for independence from colonial power Britain.
In 2008, his ruling ZANU-PF party lost the parliamentary majority and opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai defeated Mugabe in the presidential vote. There was a run-off, and Tsvangirai withdrew because of alleged attacks on his supporters.
Under international pressure, Mugabe agreed to a power-sharing deal with Tsvangirai, who was made prime minister.
According to BBC, Mugabe believes in the "African liberationist tradition of the 1960s" - strong and ruthless leadership, anti-Western, suspicious of capitalism and deeply intolerant of dissent and opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report