Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital?
London: Long-time Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe - affected by a mystery illness - is fighting for life in a hospital in Singapore, a British media report said.
The 88-year-old leader is reportedly having intensive treatment. He was flown to Singapore last week after he collapsed at his home, The Sun reported.
It was later claimed Mugabe had gone to see his daughter enrolled at a university in Singapore.
Family members joined him during the weekend, and the Zimbabwe government postponed a cabinet meeting.
Officials said he will be home soon, and was celebrating his "Easter holidays".
A leaked 2008 US diplomatic cable suggested Mugabe has prostate cancer.
Mugabe, in office since 1980, was a key figure in the struggle for independence from colonial power Britain.
In 2008, his ruling ZANU-PF party lost the parliamentary majority and opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai defeated Mugabe in the presidential vote. There was a run-off, and Tsvangirai withdrew because of alleged attacks on his supporters.
Under international pressure, Mugabe agreed to a power-sharing deal with Tsvangirai, who was made prime minister.
According to BBC, Mugabe believes in the "African liberationist tradition of the 1960s" - strong and ruthless leadership, anti-Western, suspicious of capitalism and deeply intolerant of dissent and opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read