Muhammad Yunus announces financing in Haiti
Port-Au-Prince (Haiti): Nobel peace laureate Mohammad Yunus has announced that his pro-business development group is financing several endeavors through a mix of loans and equity.
The projects that incorporate Yunus` development philosophy of "social business" include two poultry farms, a plantation of jatropha plants to be used for biodiesel, a bakery and a tilapia fish farm. Amounts invested in each will range from USD 80,000 to USD 500,000.
Like non-governmental organizations such "social businesses" must each have a social mission, but they also must generate revenues to cover costs like a profit-making business.
Yunus made the announcement on the first day of a conference examining ways to "eradicate" poverty in Haiti using his development philosophy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video