Mullah Nazir`s death a significant blow to Taliban: Pentagon
Washington: The killing of a senior Taliban commander in a drone strike in South Waziristan area of Pakistan, "if confirmed", would be a "significant blow" to the terrorist outfit, the Pentagon said on Thursday.
"Let me be very clear, I can`t confirm the reports. If the reports are true this would be a significant blow and would be a very helpful not just to the United States but also to our Pakistani partners and the Afghans," Pentagon Press Secretary, George Little, told reporters during an off camera news conference.
Little was responding to questions on news reports coming out of Pakistan that Mullah Nazir, the main Pakistani Taliban commander in the south Waziristan, was among 16 people killed in a serial US drone strikes near the Afghan border.
"This is someone who had great deal of blood on his hands. .. This would be a major development," Little said in response to a question, adding that his death would "deal a serious blow" to the terrorist outfits in the region.
However, Little said at this stage the US does not has information to confirm his death.
"I do not have any information at this stage to be able to confirm," he said.
"I have seen media reports suggesting that a senior Taliban commander has made his end. I am unable to confirm those reports. I will say as a general matter that any time a bad guy has a bad day, that`s a good day for us," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant