Multiple Baghdad blasts kill at least 8 people
Baghdad: Three bombs exploded in a commercial Baghdad district and another blast hit the city`s western outskirts on Saturday, killing at least eight people and wounding a dozen others, police and hospital sources said.
The first blast hit Baghdad`s central Bab al-Sharji district followed by two other explosions in the street nearby in attacks highlighting violence still troubling Iraq as the last US troops prepare to withdraw at the end of the year.
At least two people were killed in the explosions and seven others were wounded, a police official and a medical source at a nearby Baghdad hospital said. Another security source said seven people were killed in those three explosions.
Six more people were killed and eight more were wounded on the outskirts of Baghdad earlier on Saturday when a roadside bomb hit a truck carrying construction workers in Abu Ghraib to the west of the capital.
Attacks in Iraq have dropped sharply since the peak of sectarian slaughter in 2006-2007, but bombings, assaults and assassinations by Sunni insurgents and Shi`ite militias still occur nearly daily almost nine years after the US invasion.
The remaining 18,000 US troops in Iraq are packing up by the end of the year when a security pact with Baghdad expires. Talks to keep some US troops in Iraq as trainers fell apart over the question of legal immunity for US soldiers.
Iraqi and US officials say Iraq`s national military is capable of containing stubborn violence, but they are concerned about gaps the US withdrawal will leave in their capabilities in areas like air defence and intelligence gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!