Mumbai bizman gets 8 years jail in Spain for planning terror
Mumbai: An anti-terrorism court in Spain has
sentenced a Mumbai-based businessman and ten Pakistani
nationals to jail terms ranging from 8 to 15 years for
plotting to blow up Barcelona Metro.
Roshan Jamal Khan has been sentenced to jail for eight
and a half years for being part of the group which planned
terror attacks in Barcelona city in Spain, his brother Mehboob
told agency here today.
"We shall file an appeal in a higher court within ten
days but meanwhile we will appeal to Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh to intervene and urge the Spain authorities to make the
evidence against Roshan Jamal public," Mehboob said.
Reacting sharply to the verdict delivered on Monday
against Roshan, he said, "We believe that Roshan is innocent
and there is no evidence against him. Merely on the basis of a
statement given by an individual that Roshan and others were
planning suicide attacks on Barcelona Metro and other places,
the court should not have convicted him."
Roshan`s family, including his wife, four sons and two
daughters, who live in suburban Jogeshwari are in a state of
shock, Mehboob said.
Roshan, who was holding export-import licence, was on a
business trip to Spain on a three-month visa when he was
arrested from a Mosque in Barcelona with 14 others on January
19 last year.
He spent nearly two years in jail there and his family
had made a fervent appeal earlier to Prime Minister,
External Affairs Ministry and Spanish Consulate General to
intervene and urge Spanish authorities to release Roshan but
their plea was not heard, his brother claimed.
Roshan, a graduate from St Xavier`s College and a heavy
weight boxing champion of Bombay University, had been to Spain
earlier also in the course of his business, Mehboob said.
Altogether 15 persons were arrested on charges of
plotting to carry out suicide attacks in Barcelona Metro and
other parts of the city. Four were released later while Roshan
and ten others were tried.
Shahid Iqbal, a Pakistani National, got 14 years and six
months imprisonment along with Qadeer Malik for possessing
weapons and being part of the group which had planned terror
attacks in Spain.
Maroof Ahmed Mirza, identified as the leader of the
group, received ten and a half years prison term for
participating in the conspiracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read