‘Munich massacre’ repeat at London Olympics?
London: Officials at the Corby East Midlands International Pool fear a repeat of the 1972 Munich massacre at the London Olympics 2012.
With this year marking the 40th anniversary of the Munich massacre, where 11 Israelis died, these fears comes after a “threatening e-mail” was sent to a venue in Northamptonshire, where the Israeli swimming team will train from next month.
The e-mail branded all Israelis as “terrorists” and included a threat to pass details of the venue’s “welcoming committee” to contacts in America and the Middle East.
Worried officials at the Corby East Midlands International Pool immediately passed the e-mail on to police, who then sent it to MI5 and the Olympic Intelligence Centre (OIC).
“The e-mail was from an individual and expresses dislike of the Israeli team using the pool,” Daily Star quoted the officials at the Corby Pool, as saying.
“The e-mail states that the Israelis are ‘nothing short of terrorists,” it added.
Further briefings reveal the e-mail “highlights the potential for Olympic venues and events associated with Israel to become the focus for pro Palestine/anti-Israel activity”.
After the Munich atrocity Games security underwent a huge overhaul to prevent a copycat massacre, but the e-mail has reinforced fears terrorists could be plotting a repeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh