Murder of 5-yr-old British girl was `sexually motivated`
London: The murder of missing British five-year-old April Jones was "sexually motivated", the trial of her alleged killer heard on Tuesday, six months after her disappearance sparked a huge search.
Mark Bridger, 47, is accused of abducting and murdering April, who vanished while playing near her home in Wales last October in a case that triggered one of Britain`s biggest-ever police search operations.
April`s body has never been found, despite hundreds of members of the public joining the search of the mountainous area criss-crossed by rivers.
On the first day of evidence in the high-profile trial, a court in northeast Wales heard that traces of blood matching April`s DNA were found in Bridger`s living room, hallway and bathroom.
Opening the case for the prosecution, barrister Elwen Evans said child pornography had been found on Bridger`s computer, and he had searched the Internet for child murder and rape cases, including the high-profile murder of British schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman in 2002.
Evans said Bridger, a former abattoir slaughterman, had been seen putting April in his car but has never revealed what he did with her body.
"It`s the defendant`s case that he admits that he drove her away," she told the court. "He admits that April is dead. He accepts that he killed her or probably killed her.
"He accepts that he must have got rid of her body."
Bridger told police that he ran over April with his Land Rover, Evans told the court. She said Bridger, who also previously worked as a lifeguard, had not told police what he did with April`s body.
"He says to us that he does not know, that he cannot remember," Evans said.
"It`s our case that the defendant`s actions -- abduction, murder, covering up what he has done -- that his actions were sexually motivated."
Bridger denies charges of abduction, murder and unlawfully disposing of April`s body.
"He has played, we say, a cruel game in pretending not to know what he has done to her," Evans said.
The court heard that Bridger had carried out an "extensive clean-up" of his home before police searched it, but had failed to remove all the evidence.
Bridger, who was arrested the day after April disappeared, stared straight ahead as he listened to the evidence.
April, who had cerebral palsy, vanished on October 1 while playing on her bike near her home in the market town of Machynlleth, central Wales.
Her parents had let her play out late as a treat for getting a good report from her teachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt