Murder of four-year-old girl shocks South Africans
Johannesburg: An incident of rape and murder of a four-year-old girl in a South African town has caused a wave of shock and fury in the country.
The little girl (name hidden) was allegedly raped and murdered by her 23- year-old uncle at the weekend in Brakpan, a gold and uranium mining town, southeast of Johannesburg. Her body was found under a bed at her father`s home, Xinhua reported.
The suspect, charged with murdering his niece, appeared briefly in the Brakpan Magistrates Court Monday morning. Hundreds of community members gathered outside the court, yelling and calling the accused a pig and drug addict. The crowd threatened to take justice into their own hands if the accused was not punished severely.
"The minister has called on the courts and the justice system to be swift and firm when sentencing whoever is found guilty of this crime," said a spokesperson of Women, Children and People with Disabilities Minister Lulu Xingwana.
The court should deny the suspect bail and give him the harshest sentence possible, the official said.
The little girl is the latest victim of uncurbed violence against children in and around Johannesburg over the past few months.
In October, at least four children were killed in Diepsloot township, north of Johannesburg.
In a related development, a 34-year-old mother and her four children, aged between two months and five-years, were stabbed to death inside their home Sunday morning in a village in northern South Africa. The suspect, 44, was believed to be the woman`s boyfriend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa