`Murdoch gave Rebekah Brooks £1.7mn pay-off`
London: Rebekah Brooks, the former News of the World editor who quit as chief executive of Rupert Murdoch`s News International at the height of the
phone-hacking scandal, received 1.7 million pounds and other
benefits as part of her severance package from the group.
Brooks was among the people who were arrested and bailed
for their alleged involvement in the phone-hacking scandal
that led to the closure of Britain`s mass selling tabloid.
The Observer reported today that as per records at
Companies House, Brooks resigned from 23 directorships related
to Murdoch`s News International.
It added that besides a generous payoff and continued use
of her company limousine and driver for two years, Brooks, 43,
has been given an office for the same period of time in an
affluent central London area.
The decision to give Brooks an office is likely to be
raised on Thursday when James Murdoch, chairman of News
International, will appear before the Culture, media and Sport
Tom Watson, the Labour MP who has been in the forefront
of highlighting the phone-hacking scandal, said: "It is
remarkably curious that such an generous package is given to
Ms Brooks when others have been cut loose. It is almost as if
she hasn`t really left the company. I am sure Mr Murdoch will
want to explain the decision to his shareholders."
Flame-haired Brooks was arrested by police investigating
the scandal but was not charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31