Murdoch hacking case: UK singer gets 600,000 pound
London: Singer Charlotte Church, who had sued
Rupert Murdoch`s now defunct News of the World for hacking her
phone, today received 600,000 pounds as damages and costs
under a settlement at the High Court here.
The 26-year-old singer and her parents have agreed damages
and costs of 600,000 pounds with News Group Newspapers, BBC
The settlement includes 300,000 pounds in legal costs and
a public apology.
Church said she was "sickened and disgusted" by what she
discovered during her legal action against News International
over phone hacking.
The singer`s phone was hacked when she was 16 years old.
The court agreed that 33 articles in the paper had been due to
her family`s voicemails being hacked, the report said.
Speaking outside the Royal Courts of Justice in London,
Church said it was an "important day" for her and her family.
"I brought this legal claim with my parents, as many
others have done, because we wanted to find out the truth
about what this newspaper group had done in the pursuit of
stories about our family.
"What I have discovered as the litigation has gone on has
sickened and disgusted me," she said.
Church`s phone was hacked in 2002 and journalists also
placed her under surveillance and gained access to her medical
records, the report said.
She said she had discovered that, despite an apology she
believed the paper was "not truly sorry, only sorry they got
Church said she was now planning to focus on helping the
criminal investigation and Lord Justice Leveson`s inquiry into
media ethics, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi