Murdoch recalled by British lawmakers over police comments
London: British lawmakers on Tuesday recalled Rupert Murdoch to testify after a tape recording emerged of the media tycoon slamming the police investigation into alleged phone hacking and bribery by his journalists.
The Australian-born 82-year-old last appeared before parliament`s Culture, Media and Sport Committee two years ago at the height of the hacking scandal that closed the News of the World tabloid.
A spokeswoman for the scrutiny panel confirmed that it would ask Murdoch to appear again to discuss his comments on the police probe, adding that it was expected to happen in the autumn although no date has been agreed.
According to the tape obtained by the Exaro investigative website and released by Channel 4 television last week, Murdoch said his US-based News Corporation made a "mistake" in handing over so much information to police.
"It`s a disgrace. Here we are, two years later, and the cops are totally incompetent," he said.
Murdoch was speaking in March at a meeting with journalists at his top-selling British tabloid The Sun, where he also appears to suggest that reporters jailed as a result of the probe could return to their jobs.
Murdoch shut down his top-selling News of the World tabloid in July 2011 after it emerged the weekly had illegally accessed the voicemails of hundreds of public figures, including a murdered teenager.
In his first appearance before the committee later that same month, alongside his son James, Rupert Murdoch apologised and said "this is the most humble day of my life".
During the same evidence session a protester attacked him with a foam pie, upon which his wife Wendi Deng, whom he is now divorcing, leapt to his defence.
The committee published a scathing report in May 2012, saying Murdoch was unfit to lead a major global company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends