Murdoch to "hit back hard" on piracy allegations
London: News Corp boss Rupert Murdoch vowed to "hit back hard" against what his company president called baseless allegations from the BBC that a subsidiary ran a secret unit to promote piracy against pay-TV rivals.
The BBC`s Panorama documentary alleged in a broadcast on Monday that NDS, a pay-TV smartcard maker recently sold by News Corp for USD 5 billion, hired a consultant to post the encryption codes of ITV Digital, a rival of the then Sky TV, on his website.
In a statement late on Wednesday, News Corp president Chase Carey said the program presented "manipulated and mischaracterised e-mails to produce unfair and baseless accusations", and he backed NDS`s call for the publicly owned British broadcaster to retract them.
Widespread piracy after the publication of the codes contributed to the 2002 collapse of ITV Digital, which had been set up by the parties that later formed ITV, Britain`s leading free-to-air commercial broadcaster, in 1998.
In a separate letter to Panorama, the executive chairman of NDS, Abe Peled, asked the broadcaster to retract the allegations immediately.
Carey said News Corp fully endorsed Peled`s letter.
On Twitter, chief executive Rupert Murdoch, who has had a number of run-ins with the free-to-air BBC, said: "Seems every competitor and enemy piling on with lies and libels. So bad, easy to hit back hard, which preparing".
Separately, an Australian paper alleged that NDS had let piracy go unchecked at US satellite broadcaster DirecTV less than a year before News Corp looked into buying the business.
The article in the Australian Financial Review, citing internal e-mails from NDS, added to questions over News Corp practices after reports that NDS promoted piracy against its rivals and after scandals at News Corp`s British newspapers.
NDS said in a statement that it "completely rejects the allegations made by the Australian Financial Review".
DirecTV, which depended on NDS for the security of its scrambling system, suffered major piracy problems around the turn of the century, losing revenue as viewers using pirated cards watched it for free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow