Murdoch`s journos spied on UK intelligence chief
London: Journalists from Rupert Murdoch`s News International group spied on the woman chief of Britain`s intelligence agency MI5 to uncover her personal life, a media report said on Saturday.
Stella Rimington became director-general of the MI5 in 1992 and retired in 1996. She was the first chief to be named publicly and to have her official photographs released, the Daily Express reported.
The MI5, established in 1909, works for national security, particularly against threats from espionage, terrorism and sabotage, from activities of agents of foreign powers and from actions intended to overthrow parliamentary democracy.
The journalists from The Sunday Times discovered where Rimington shopped and where she held her bank account, she said.
"They`d found out which branch of Marks & Spencer I bought my food at, and they`d even found where my bank account was, too," Rimington told The Lady magazine.
The journalists told her they could also access her medical records, she said.
News International has declined to comment on her allegations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!