Murdoch`s loss is other tabloids` gain
London: The circulation of British tabloids
has shot up after media baron Rupert Murdoch closed down News
of the World in July until then Britain`s largest selling
Sunday paper in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal,
latest industry figures show.
The Sunday Mirror picked up the most new customers with
average sales for July of 1,786,454 copies - almost 700,000
more than in June.
Daily Star Sunday was the big winner in percentage terms,
selling an average of 703,632 copies, an increase of 130% over
June figures, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations
The Sunday Mirror`s July sales represented an increase of
64 per cent month on month and 55 per cent up on July last
year, while the People sold 806,544 copies in July - a rise of
70 per cent on the previous month and 50 per cent on the
The circulation of the Daily Star Sunday was 90 per cent
more than a year ago. The Sunday Express added 20 per cent
more sales, rising to 648,806.
Sales of the Mail on Sunday grew by 17 per cent compared
with June, to 2,255,399. Publishers of the Mail claimed in a
statement that it was now Britain`s best selling Sunday paper.
It added: "The figures reveal that the Mail on Sunday
sells more copies than all its rivals in the Sunday quality
market put together - the Sunday Times, Observer, Sunday
Telegraph and Independent on Sunday."
Altogether, the five Sunday tabloids added nearly two
million copies compared with June.
All had printed more copies and poured money into
promotions or price-cutting in a bid to grab the lion`s share
of the News of the World`s circulation, which was 2.6 million
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister