Mursi to face trial over jail break case on January 28
Cairo: Egypt`s former Islamist president, Mohamed Mursi, will face trial on January 28 over a mass jail break in 2011, one of three cases against him since he was ousted by the army in July, judicial sources said.
Since Mursi was deposed, security forces have launched a wide crackdown against his Muslim Brotherhood group, arresting thousands over accusations of inciting violence and designating the group a terrorist organization last month.
Mursi has also been charged in connection with the killing of protesters and collaborating with Islamist Hamas group and Hezbollah to carry out a terrorist conspiracy against Egypt.
He could face the death penalty over such charges.
Mursi, along with other leaders of the Brotherhood, escaped from prison on January 28, 2011, after being rounded up with other Brotherhood leaders during the 18-day uprising that toppled veteran leader Hosni Mubarak.
The first session of his trial is due on the anniversary of that jail break.
Mursi won the first post-Mubarak presidential elections in 2012 and ruled Egypt for almost a year before mass protests against his rule prompted the army to overthrow him and appoint an interim government in July.
The Brotherhood, once Egypt`s best-organized political and religious movement that won five consecutive elections after Mubarak`s downfall in 2011, denies any links to violence and accuse the army of staging a military coup.
Hundreds of pro-Mursi supporters who have demanded his reinstatement have been killed when security forces stormed their protest camps in August. Thousands of others have been rounded up by security forces over accusations of violence.
Around 350 police and soldiers have been killed in bombings and shootings since Mursi was deposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27