Mursi to pick a non-Islamist PM for Egypt?
Cairo: Egypt`s president-elect Mohammed Mursi is considering picking a non-Islamist as his prime minister as he cobbles up a government inclusive of all voices and sections, with activist Mohamed ElBaradei and a leftist leader among the possible contenders.
Days after being declared the country`s first democratically elected president, Mursi intensified efforts to field his government that will take over from the cabinet of Kamal El-Ganzouri.
However, the leader who has been thrust with the responsibility of anchoring the country`s first civilian government after a revolution is walking a tightrope to please all sections of the Egyptian society while negotiating with the military over how much power the civilian administration will wield.
Negotiations were also on on who will be picked up for the vice presidential positions, with Mursi having stated already that he will appoint three vice presidents from a range of backgrounds -- with one either a woman, a Christian or a former presidential candidate.
Al Ahram quoted reports in the Egyptian daily Al-Shorouk that the future government will be led by a politician who is not a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, with Nobel Laureate ElBaradei and Egyptian Social Democratic Party leader Ziyad Bahaaeddin, being the possible contenders.
With a year of unrest having thrown the country`s economy into doldrums, Mursi also wants to pick up technocrats as his cabinet members.
The protests that started in January last year, and still erupt in pockets, dented the country`s huge tourist market and drove away foreign investors. The economy contracted by 4.3 per cent in the first quarter of 2011 and stagnated in the following three quarters.
Some reports in the Egyptian media have said recently the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF) may hold the important ministries of interior, foreign affairs, and defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'