Mursi to pick a non-Islamist PM for Egypt?
Cairo: Egypt`s president-elect Mohammed Mursi is considering picking a non-Islamist as his prime minister as he cobbles up a government inclusive of all voices and sections, with activist Mohamed ElBaradei and a leftist leader among the possible contenders.
Days after being declared the country`s first democratically elected president, Mursi intensified efforts to field his government that will take over from the cabinet of Kamal El-Ganzouri.
However, the leader who has been thrust with the responsibility of anchoring the country`s first civilian government after a revolution is walking a tightrope to please all sections of the Egyptian society while negotiating with the military over how much power the civilian administration will wield.
Negotiations were also on on who will be picked up for the vice presidential positions, with Mursi having stated already that he will appoint three vice presidents from a range of backgrounds -- with one either a woman, a Christian or a former presidential candidate.
Al Ahram quoted reports in the Egyptian daily Al-Shorouk that the future government will be led by a politician who is not a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, with Nobel Laureate ElBaradei and Egyptian Social Democratic Party leader Ziyad Bahaaeddin, being the possible contenders.
With a year of unrest having thrown the country`s economy into doldrums, Mursi also wants to pick up technocrats as his cabinet members.
The protests that started in January last year, and still erupt in pockets, dented the country`s huge tourist market and drove away foreign investors. The economy contracted by 4.3 per cent in the first quarter of 2011 and stagnated in the following three quarters.
Some reports in the Egyptian media have said recently the Supreme Council of Armed Forces (SCAF) may hold the important ministries of interior, foreign affairs, and defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming