Mursi’s referendum victory mired with fraud allegations
Cairo: Rejecting the Muslim Brotherhood’s referendum victory, Egypt`s opposition on Monday alleged that the vote was mired with fraud.
An Islamist-backed constitution that was drafted in hurry and rushed through the constituent assembly in a marathon session on Nov 30, passed with a 64 percent "yes" vote, the ruling party claimed.
Claiming vote rigging, Egypt`s secular opposition demanded an investigation into the referendum.
The opposition claims the new constitution seeks to enshrine Islamic rule in Egypt and accuses the Islamists of trying to monopolize power.
Critics say it does not sufficiently protect the rights of women and minority groups and empowers Muslim clerics by giving them a say over legislation. Some articles were also seen as tailored to get rid of Islamists` enemies and undermine the freedom of labor unions.
The latest political battle began with Mursi`s Nov. 22 decrees that gave him powers to protect the Islamist-dominated panel writing the constitution and dismiss the country`s top prosecutor, a holdover from the Mubarak era.
A heated political debate over the past month leading up to the referendum at times erupted into deadly street battles. There were no mass opposition demonstrations on Sunday after the unofficial results came out.
Renewed violence and political tensions have further imperiled Egypt`s already precarious economy, reeling from dwindling resources and a cash-strapped government whose plans to borrow from the International Monetary Fund had to be pushed back because of the turmoil.
Official results of the referendum are not expected until Monday. If the unofficial numbers are confirmed, it will be a victory Islamist President Mohammed Mursi, who is from the Brotherhood.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read