`Muslim Brotherhood launches militia inside Syria`
Damascus: The Muslim Brotherhood has established its own militia inside Syrian capital Damascus as well as opposition hot spots like Homs and Idlib, a report has said.
Abu Hamza, one member of the group, which calls itself ‘Armed Men of the Muslim Brotherhood’, said he started the movement along with a member of the opposition alliance Syrian National Council (SNC).
“We saw there were civilians with weapons inside, so we decided to co-operate with them and put them under one umbrella,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
Hossam Abu Habel, whose late father was in Syria`s Muslim Brotherhood in the 1950s, said that he raised USD 40-50,000 a month to supply Islamist militias in Homs province with weapons and other aid.
“Our mission is to build a civil country, but with an Islamic base. We are trying to raise awareness for Islam and for jihad,” he said.
According to the paper, the Syrian wing of the Muslim Brotherhood has been revitalised by the organisation`s success in Egypt, where it won both Parliamentary and Presidential Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress