Muslim Brotherhood supreme leader faces new charges
Cairo: Muslim Brotherhood`s spiritual leader Mohamed Badie would stand trial in a second case for inciting violence and terrorism during protest against the ouster of former Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi, state prosecutor announced on Sunday.
Badie, the group`s supreme guide, was referred to the criminal court along with leading Brotherhood members Mohamed El-Beltagy, Bassem Ouda and Essam El-Erian - the latter has not yet been arrested - in addition to Islamist preacher Safwat Hegazy and leading member of Al-Gamaa Al-Islamiya Assem Abd El-Magued, who is also still to at large, and nine others.
The prosecution accused Badie, El-Beltagy, El-Erian, Abd El-Magued and Hegazy of `inciting violence and terrorism, murder, forming a gang to attack citizens and supplying it with arms and funds.`
The remaining suspects were accused of `terrorising, crowding, murder, joining a group that attacked citizens, damaging private property and possessing arms.`
Five people were killed in Al-Bahr Al-Azam area of Giza and in the vicinity of the nearby Cairo University, during fire-fights that broke out between pro-Morsi protesters and unknown assailants late on July 15.
Two other people were killed in the Ramses area, downtown Cairo, in similar clashes that day.
Badie, along with six other leading members of the Brotherhood, are currently on trial facing charges of allegedly `inciting murder` in clashes at the Brotherhood`s headquarters in Moqattam, Cairo, on June 30.
Dozens of leading Brotherhood figures and hundreds of members have been arrested since security forces dispersed two large pro-Morsi protest camps in Cairo on August 14, during which hundreds were killed.
The Brotherhood, along with other Islamist groups and supporters, have been protesting the ouster of Morsi, who was deposed by the army on 3 July amid mass protests against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next