Muslim convert confesses to planning assassination of Prince Harry
A Muslim convert has confessed before a UK court that he had planned to assassinate Prince Harry, the third in the line of succession to the British throne, using a low-calibre pistol.
London: A Muslim convert has confessed before a UK court that he had planned to assassinate Prince Harry, the third in the line of succession to the British throne, using a low-calibre pistol.
Ashraf Islam, a.k.a. Mark Townley, had named his bizarre operation as `Operation Regal`, but had appeared at a Hounslow police station a day after Drummer Lee Rigby was killed in the Woolwich area of South-East London to reveal his intentions, The Mirror reports.
The 31-year-old described Rigby as a soft target, and said he believed hurting people was wrong.
A document found on Islam`s computer said: "Aim for target. No civilians to be injured. Dress code is the biker look. Use low-calibre pistol at close range. Not to be viewed as Islamist extremist," the report added.
Police also discovered a number of internet searches related to Prince Harry`s protection team, his engagements and his general whereabouts.
Islam had arrived in the UK from Thailand just a day before his arrest.
He also said he had been watching the Horse Guards Parade and planned to disarm an officer disguised as a tourist, instead of bringing a gun into London.
Islam, who is separated from his wife and young child back in Northern Ireland, decided to confess after feeling scared and nervous on the morning of May 23.
He pleaded guilty before an Uxbridge Magistrates` Court that he planned to kill Prince Harry on May 25.
Islam`s sentencing has been adjourned until November 1 for conducting a mental health assessment test.