Muslim leader in Aus slammed for taking oath on Quran
Sydney: Dozens of messages were reportedly posted on Facebook when Prime Minister`s new Parliamentary Secretary, Ed Husic, took oath on Quran, instead of holy Bible.
Husic, Australia`s first Muslim frontbencher, was appointed to Kevin Rudd`s new ministry as Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister and Parliamentary Secretary for broadband on Monday, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
According to the report, Kooyong member Josh Frydenberg, who was sworn into Federal Parliament along with members from several religions criticized the disregard shown by Australians toward other religious sentiments.
Earlier, Husic had said that he`s a non-practicing Muslim.
Opposition leader Tony Abbott reportedly said he respects Husic`s choice and Australians should also do the same.
President of the Anti-Discrimination Board and Chairman of the NSW Community Relations Commission Stepan Kerkyasharian said that it was a sad day for the society, adding that Husic could act as a valuable bridge to put Australia at an advantage in the international community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read