Muslim leader in Aus slammed for taking oath on Quran
Sydney: Dozens of messages were reportedly posted on Facebook when Prime Minister`s new Parliamentary Secretary, Ed Husic, took oath on Quran, instead of holy Bible.
Husic, Australia`s first Muslim frontbencher, was appointed to Kevin Rudd`s new ministry as Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister and Parliamentary Secretary for broadband on Monday, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
According to the report, Kooyong member Josh Frydenberg, who was sworn into Federal Parliament along with members from several religions criticized the disregard shown by Australians toward other religious sentiments.
Earlier, Husic had said that he`s a non-practicing Muslim.
Opposition leader Tony Abbott reportedly said he respects Husic`s choice and Australians should also do the same.
President of the Anti-Discrimination Board and Chairman of the NSW Community Relations Commission Stepan Kerkyasharian said that it was a sad day for the society, adding that Husic could act as a valuable bridge to put Australia at an advantage in the international community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?