Muslim leader in Aus slammed for taking oath on Quran
Sydney: Dozens of messages were reportedly posted on Facebook when Prime Minister`s new Parliamentary Secretary, Ed Husic, took oath on Quran, instead of holy Bible.
Husic, Australia`s first Muslim frontbencher, was appointed to Kevin Rudd`s new ministry as Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister and Parliamentary Secretary for broadband on Monday, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
According to the report, Kooyong member Josh Frydenberg, who was sworn into Federal Parliament along with members from several religions criticized the disregard shown by Australians toward other religious sentiments.
Earlier, Husic had said that he`s a non-practicing Muslim.
Opposition leader Tony Abbott reportedly said he respects Husic`s choice and Australians should also do the same.
President of the Anti-Discrimination Board and Chairman of the NSW Community Relations Commission Stepan Kerkyasharian said that it was a sad day for the society, adding that Husic could act as a valuable bridge to put Australia at an advantage in the international community.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know