`Muslim Patrol` vigilantes force London women to cover up
London: An Islamic vigilante group has been confronting people in a London suburb asking women to cover up and to give up alcohol claiming they were living an `unclean life`, prompting authorities to clamp down.
The men, who operate hooded calling themselves `Muslim Patrol`, have uploaded videos of their exploits on the YouTube, the Daily Mail reported.
The three-minute video labelled `The Truth About Saturday Night` has caused a stir online and shows the men walking London`s streets and forcing a passerby to put a can of lager away, telling him they are the Muslim Patrol and that alcohol is a `forbidden evil`.
They are also seen telling a group of women `they need to forbid themselves from dressing like this and exposing themselves outside the mosque`, the report said.
Scotland Yard says it is investigating the case.
Muslim groups have, however, condemned them for their hard-line views and approach.
"We live in the UK and we are governed by UK law, there should be no mob rule. If people are involved in this behaviour then it is worrying but it is an isolated incident", Mohammed Shafiq, the chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, a Muslim organisation which campaigns for a peaceful co-existence among communities, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Out of 10 civic bodies, Shiv Sena ahead in BMC and Thane; BJP in 7, NCP in Pimpri Chinchwad