Muslims concerned about Israeli settlements: Mubarak
Rome: Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has said the entire Muslim world was concerned about Israel`s settlement construction in Palestinian territories, ANSA news agency reported.
Mubarak, who met with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi during a visit in Rome, also denounced what he described as Israel`s "attempts to assimilate Jerusalem”.
Israel`s continuation of settlement construction "worries not only the Palestinians but the entire Muslim world," Mubarak said yesterday.
The international community considers Israeli settlements in all of the West Bank including east Jerusalem to be illegal and a major impediment to a Middle East peace deal.
The United States has demanded a complete freeze to Jewish settlements in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, land the Palestinians want to turn into a future state. But Israel has so far balked at the call.
The fate of Jerusalem, with sites sacred to Christians, Jews and Muslims, is one of the most sensitive issues in the decades-old Middle East conflict.
Israel captured east Jerusalem in 1967 and annexed it in a move not recognised by the international community. It considers the entire city to be its "eternal, indivisible" capital.
The Palestinians want to make eastern Jerusalem the capital of their promised state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months