Muslims hold prayers outside US Capitol
Washington: More than a thousand Muslim men and women on Friday gathered outside the US Capitol to hold a prayer meeting and demonstrate against prejudice against Islam.
With men on one side, and women on the other, the crowd prayed on lawns outside the building in an event organised by the Dar-ul-Islam Elisabeth mosque, in northeastern New Jersey yesterday.
"In addition to being an historic event I think it`s just a matter of all the Muslims coming together in one location to perform what is our obligation for the Friday prayer," said one of the participants Lonnie Shabazz.
"The message was clear. I think the message basically was to let the American public know that all the stigmas that are attached to Muslims are not true.”
"We`re not extremists and we do not subscribe to the trend of racism. I think that message was achieved today."
On their website, the organisers, who had been hoping to attract some 5,000 people, said that they wanted "to manifest Islam`s majestic spiritual principals as revealed by Allah to our beloved prophet."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore