Myanmar: ‘29 killed in state riot’
Yangon: At least 29 people have been killed and 38 injured in riots in Myanmar`s Rakhine state since June 8, the government said on Thursday.
Those killed comprise 13 Rakhinese and 16 Muslims and the injured are 16 Rakhinese and 22 Muslims, Xinhua quoted Rakhine State Security and Border Affairs Minister Colonel Htein Lin and Law Officer U Hla Thein as saying in a press conference.
The press conference was the first ever given by the local government since a state of emergency was declared in the state and curfew imposed.
Myanmar declared a state of emergency in Rakhine on the night of June 10 after curfew was announced one after another in areas of Maungtaw, Buthidaung, Sittway, Thandwe, Kyaukphyu and Yanbye.
Over 2,500 residential houses across the state were destroyed in incidents of arson. Nine monasteries, seven mosques and one school were also among those burned down.
The officials, however, claimed that the situation in riot-hit western Rakhine state had now turned calm.
They said the people had started rebuilding their destroyed houses and some shops and banks in the downtown areas of Sittway reopened Thursday, though markets and schools remained closed.
A total of 37 refugee camps have been opened in the state housing about 32,000 victims so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you