Myanmar: ‘29 killed in state riot’
Yangon: At least 29 people have been killed and 38 injured in riots in Myanmar`s Rakhine state since June 8, the government said on Thursday.
Those killed comprise 13 Rakhinese and 16 Muslims and the injured are 16 Rakhinese and 22 Muslims, Xinhua quoted Rakhine State Security and Border Affairs Minister Colonel Htein Lin and Law Officer U Hla Thein as saying in a press conference.
The press conference was the first ever given by the local government since a state of emergency was declared in the state and curfew imposed.
Myanmar declared a state of emergency in Rakhine on the night of June 10 after curfew was announced one after another in areas of Maungtaw, Buthidaung, Sittway, Thandwe, Kyaukphyu and Yanbye.
Over 2,500 residential houses across the state were destroyed in incidents of arson. Nine monasteries, seven mosques and one school were also among those burned down.
The officials, however, claimed that the situation in riot-hit western Rakhine state had now turned calm.
They said the people had started rebuilding their destroyed houses and some shops and banks in the downtown areas of Sittway reopened Thursday, though markets and schools remained closed.
A total of 37 refugee camps have been opened in the state housing about 32,000 victims so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings