Myanmar: Curfew imposed in Rakhine state
Yangon: Myanmar authorities on Sunday imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in four places in the western Rakhine state, after a riot in a town led to the death of seven people and the burning down of around 500 houses, state media reported.
The riot was imposed in Rakhine capital Sittway and Thandwe, Kyaukphyu and Ramree towns.
The curfew, which bans gatherings of more than five people, will be from 6 pm to 6 am Monday, reported Xinhua.
The curfew order said peace and stability in Sittway were being threatened by similar unrest and violence in Maungtaw.
In Maungtaw, curfew is already in place along with Buthidaung since Friday evening.
Violent riots in Maungtaw erupted Friday afternoon. At least seven people were killed and 17 others injured, 494 houses and 19 shops were set on fire, said an official report.
Navy ships are patrolling Myanmar`s territorial waters west of Maungtaw since Saturday to prevent intruders from entering Maungtaw.
The unrest began after three Bengali-Muslims were accused of raping and killing a 27-year-old ethnic Rakhinese woman in Kyauknimaw village May 28. In another incident, at least 10 Muslims were beaten to death in Taunggup by an unidentified mob June 3.
According to government reports, the three men accused of raping and stabbing the local ethnic woman to death have been arrested and are under trial.
The government has formed an investigation committee headed by Deputy Home Minister Brigadier-General Kyaw Zan Myint to probe into the recent bloody incidents and to report directly to the president by June 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city