Myanmar: Curfew imposed in Rakhine state
Yangon: Myanmar authorities on Sunday imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in four places in the western Rakhine state, after a riot in a town led to the death of seven people and the burning down of around 500 houses, state media reported.
The riot was imposed in Rakhine capital Sittway and Thandwe, Kyaukphyu and Ramree towns.
The curfew, which bans gatherings of more than five people, will be from 6 pm to 6 am Monday, reported Xinhua.
The curfew order said peace and stability in Sittway were being threatened by similar unrest and violence in Maungtaw.
In Maungtaw, curfew is already in place along with Buthidaung since Friday evening.
Violent riots in Maungtaw erupted Friday afternoon. At least seven people were killed and 17 others injured, 494 houses and 19 shops were set on fire, said an official report.
Navy ships are patrolling Myanmar`s territorial waters west of Maungtaw since Saturday to prevent intruders from entering Maungtaw.
The unrest began after three Bengali-Muslims were accused of raping and killing a 27-year-old ethnic Rakhinese woman in Kyauknimaw village May 28. In another incident, at least 10 Muslims were beaten to death in Taunggup by an unidentified mob June 3.
According to government reports, the three men accused of raping and stabbing the local ethnic woman to death have been arrested and are under trial.
The government has formed an investigation committee headed by Deputy Home Minister Brigadier-General Kyaw Zan Myint to probe into the recent bloody incidents and to report directly to the president by June 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’