Myanmar designates constituencies for Parliament
Yangon (Myanmar): Myanmar`s Election
Commission has designated constituencies for the national and
regional parliaments, state media announced on Wednesday, moving a
step closer toward the general election promised for sometime
The country`s ruling junta has yet to announce the date
for the polls, the first since 1990 when the party of detained
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory
but was not allowed to take power.
Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy party is
boycotting the polls because of what it calls unfair and
undemocratic election laws. It was disbanded in May because it
refused to register.
State television announced that the Election Commission,
the governing body for the polls, has designated
constituencies for the two-chamber national Parliament, as
well as regional parliaments.
Details were to be disclosed in state-run newspapers
The 440-member House of Representatives will have 330
elected civilians and 110 military representatives, while the
224-member House of Nationalities will seat 168 elected
candidates and 56 nominated by the military chief.
Suu Kyi has told colleagues she suspects the reason the
date for the polls has not yet been set is that "there could
be some problems among them," meaning members of the ruling
She made the remark during her meeting with her lawyers
at her lakeside house today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum