Myanmar designates constituencies for Parliament
Yangon (Myanmar): Myanmar`s Election
Commission has designated constituencies for the national and
regional parliaments, state media announced on Wednesday, moving a
step closer toward the general election promised for sometime
The country`s ruling junta has yet to announce the date
for the polls, the first since 1990 when the party of detained
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory
but was not allowed to take power.
Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy party is
boycotting the polls because of what it calls unfair and
undemocratic election laws. It was disbanded in May because it
refused to register.
State television announced that the Election Commission,
the governing body for the polls, has designated
constituencies for the two-chamber national Parliament, as
well as regional parliaments.
Details were to be disclosed in state-run newspapers
The 440-member House of Representatives will have 330
elected civilians and 110 military representatives, while the
224-member House of Nationalities will seat 168 elected
candidates and 56 nominated by the military chief.
Suu Kyi has told colleagues she suspects the reason the
date for the polls has not yet been set is that "there could
be some problems among them," meaning members of the ruling
She made the remark during her meeting with her lawyers
at her lakeside house today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?