Myanmar designates constituencies for Parliament
Yangon (Myanmar): Myanmar`s Election
Commission has designated constituencies for the national and
regional parliaments, state media announced on Wednesday, moving a
step closer toward the general election promised for sometime
The country`s ruling junta has yet to announce the date
for the polls, the first since 1990 when the party of detained
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory
but was not allowed to take power.
Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy party is
boycotting the polls because of what it calls unfair and
undemocratic election laws. It was disbanded in May because it
refused to register.
State television announced that the Election Commission,
the governing body for the polls, has designated
constituencies for the two-chamber national Parliament, as
well as regional parliaments.
Details were to be disclosed in state-run newspapers
The 440-member House of Representatives will have 330
elected civilians and 110 military representatives, while the
224-member House of Nationalities will seat 168 elected
candidates and 56 nominated by the military chief.
Suu Kyi has told colleagues she suspects the reason the
date for the polls has not yet been set is that "there could
be some problems among them," meaning members of the ruling
She made the remark during her meeting with her lawyers
at her lakeside house today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- India's growth may dip by 0.60% on Brexit, predicts Morgan Stanley
- Players did not lose faith in Hodgson: Wayne Rooney
- IND vs NZ: New-age Team India announce Kiwi-series fixtures in unique style
- EPFO aims to cover all workers under PF, pension by 2030
- Lionel Messi `God`s gift` to Argentina: President