Myanmar designates constituencies for rare election
Yangon: Myanmar is stepping up preparations for its first elections in two decades, designating constituencies for its national and regional parliaments, state media reported on Thursday.
The military leaders have not yet announced a date for this year`s polls, which Western countries fear are a sham aimed at shoring up the junta`s half-century grip on power.
Under the 2008 Constitution, one quarter of the seats in Parliament are reserved for the military.
Detained pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi -- who has spent much of the past 20 years in jail or under house arrest -- is barred from standing because she is a serving prisoner.
Her party, the National League for Democracy, opted to boycott the vote because of rules laid down by the junta that in effect would have forced it to expel Suu Kyi and other members in prison in order to participate.
The NLD is planning to sue the government again later this month over the elections, former NLD spokesman Nyan Win told reporters after meeting with Suu Kyi at her lakeside house on Wednesday.
"The rule of law is very weak. No system can succeed without any rule of law," he quoted the Nobel laureate as saying.
Suu Kyi also said that as no election data has yet been announced "it can be assumed that the situation is not normal”, Nyan Win added.
The NLD won a landslide victory in 1990 but the junta never allowed it to take office.
A split has emerged in the opposition between those who decided to contest the upcoming election and others, including Suu Kyi, who favoured a boycott.
One pro-democracy party that is running in the polls said on Tuesday it had complained to the election authorities about intimidation of its members by security personnel.
Democratic Party chairman Thu Wai said special branch police were visiting members` homes and asking them for personal information and two photos each.
Phyo Min Thein, a former political prisoner, resigned as head of the Union Democratic Party (UDP) last week and said he would not participate in the election because it would not be free and fair.
So far 40 parties have been allowed to register to stand in the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org