Myanmar dissolves press censorship division
Yangon: Myanmar has dissolved its Press Scrutiny and Registration Division, a follow-up move after domestic media publication control was totally liberalized in August 2012, the official media reported on Friday.
Instead, Copyrights and Registration Division will be established under the Information and Public Relations Department, reported Xinhua citing the New Light of Myanmar.
As part of its media reform, the government had announced in December 2012 that free publication of private daily newspapers will be allowed starting April 1, 2013 in addition to the state-owned ones.
The re-opening up to private sector in running daily newspapers will be the first in five decades.
There are some six state-owned newspapers published daily in Myanmar, namely Myanmar Alin (Myanmar language), Kyemon (Myanmar language), Myawaddy (Myanmar language), The New Light of Myanmar (English language) and Yadanarpon (Myanmar language) in addition to over 200 private-run weekly news journals in Myanmar, English and Chinese languages as well as over 200 magazines and nearly 7,000 private publishers.
There are also more than 20 offices of foreign news agencies in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you