Myanmar ferry toll reaches 19: Official
Bangkok: Nineteen people died and three are missing after a boat carrying teachers and school children sank in Myanmar, an official said on Thursday, updating an earlier toll.
The students were travelling to a football tournament when the overloaded ferry sank yesterday on a river in the flood-prone Irrawaddy Delta region.
"The latest information is 19 people were killed and three others missing. About 79 people were on board when the boat sank," according to the official, who did not want to be named.
The Irrawaddy Delta was the area that suffered worst when Cyclone Nargis hit southern Myanmar in May 2008. The catastrophic storm killed around 138,000 people and left thousands more homeless.
Most people living in the low-lying region -- the least developed part of the impoverished army-ruled country – rely heavily on poorly-maintained river ferries for transportation around its flooded plains.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate