Myanmar helicopter crashes in northern battle zone
Yangon: Kachin ethnic rebels battling the army in northern Myanmar say they have shot down a government helicopter, but the army says it crashed due to engine failure.
An emailed announcement from the Kachin guerrillas says they shot down the helicopter late yesterday as heavy fighting raged.
A senior government official citing military sources said today an Mi-35 helicopter crashed in Kachin-controlled territory due to engine failure. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to divulge military information.
The Kachin have long sought greater autonomy from the central government. Intermittent fighting escalated last month when the rebels rejected a government demand that they allow supply convoys to reach an army base.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29