Myanmar judges reject Suu Kyi`s appeal: Lawyers
Yangon: A Myanmar court on Friday rejected an
appeal by pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi against her
extended house arrest, just days after the US re-engaged with
the country`s ruling junta.
Judges at a divisional court in Yangon upheld the Nobel
Laureate`s conviction, her lawyer said, over an incident in
which an American man swam uninvited to her home, earning her
an extra 18 months in detention.
"The appeal was rejected but we will take it to the high
court," said Suu Kyi`s lawyer and the spokesman for her
National League for Democracy (NLD) party, Nyan Win, after the
Asked whether he was disappointed, the lawyer said Suu
Kyi might have a better chance at Myanmar`s high court.
He said the defence team was seeking permission from the
authorities to visit the frail 64-year-old as soon as
possible, to inform her of the ruling and discuss a further
appeal, which must be filed within the next 60 days.
Suu Kyi -- who has spent much of the last 20 years in
detention -- was not present for the verdict, which was
delivered amid tight security with uniformed and plain-clothes
policemen patrolling the area.
Her extended house arrest will keep her off the scene for
elections promised by the regime for 2010, adding to
widespread criticism that the polls are a sham designed to
legitimise the junta`s grip on power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next