Myanmar on verge of breakthrough: Suu Kyi
New York: Myanmar`s pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is readying to run for a seat in the country`s Parliament, has said her nation is on the verge of a "breakthrough" to democracy.
The Nobel laureate has been presented with the `Global Vision Award` by city-based NGO Asia Society. Her acceptance speech was recorded at her home in Yangon, Myanmar and her message was played at the awards ceremony here last night.
"Now that Burma (Myanmar) is on the verge of a breakthrough to democracy, we have not yet made the breakthrough; we are on the verge of making such a
Breakthrough; we look to friends like you to help us along this difficult path, which might be full of difficulties," she said in her message.
Suu Kyi said her country will be able to emerge from this difficult time with the help of "friends" of Myanmar, formerly Burma, across the world.
She said she looks forward to a time when Burma will "expand the borders of its democratisation and when we will be able to have frequent and meaningful exchanges with friends in other parts of the world”.
In the message, she also recalled her time in New York, when she was working at the United Nations Secretariat. Late last year the government in Myanmar announced major reforms that include the holding of by-elections in April, which Suu Kyi`s opposition party has said she will contest as a candidate.
A spokesperson for her National League for Democracy (NLD) party had confirmed earlier this week that Suu Kyi, who spent most of the past two decades under house arrest, will run for a parliamentary seat representing Kawhmu Township near Yangon, which is Myanmar`s largest city, in the by-elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many Christians, Hindus to Islam?
- REVEALED: How Virat Kohli motivated team on the field - Here's what stump mic picked up
- Katrina Kaif in her little 'Twilight' zone with Robert Pattinson! Pic inside
- Chinese demolitions at Buddhist institute draw fire
- Narsingh Yadav missing Rio Olympics will mean India losing a medal: WFI President