Myanmar on verge of breakthrough: Suu Kyi
New York: Myanmar`s pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is readying to run for a seat in the country`s Parliament, has said her nation is on the verge of a "breakthrough" to democracy.
The Nobel laureate has been presented with the `Global Vision Award` by city-based NGO Asia Society. Her acceptance speech was recorded at her home in Yangon, Myanmar and her message was played at the awards ceremony here last night.
"Now that Burma (Myanmar) is on the verge of a breakthrough to democracy, we have not yet made the breakthrough; we are on the verge of making such a
Breakthrough; we look to friends like you to help us along this difficult path, which might be full of difficulties," she said in her message.
Suu Kyi said her country will be able to emerge from this difficult time with the help of "friends" of Myanmar, formerly Burma, across the world.
She said she looks forward to a time when Burma will "expand the borders of its democratisation and when we will be able to have frequent and meaningful exchanges with friends in other parts of the world”.
In the message, she also recalled her time in New York, when she was working at the United Nations Secretariat. Late last year the government in Myanmar announced major reforms that include the holding of by-elections in April, which Suu Kyi`s opposition party has said she will contest as a candidate.
A spokesperson for her National League for Democracy (NLD) party had confirmed earlier this week that Suu Kyi, who spent most of the past two decades under house arrest, will run for a parliamentary seat representing Kawhmu Township near Yangon, which is Myanmar`s largest city, in the by-elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3