Myanmar police accuse exile group for Yangon blasts
Naypyidaw: Myanmar police on Thursday said they had arrested a man in connection with deadly blasts in a Yangon park last month, blaming the attacks on a militant exile group opposed to the ruling junta.
A series of explosions on April 15 left 10 people dead and dozens wounded as thousands of people gathered for water-throwing festivities to mark the Buddhist New Year, in the worst attack in five years in Myanmar`s main city.
"This brutal act was committed by four terrorist murderers who are members of a group known as the Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors," Myanmar police chief Khin Yi said.
One suspect was arrested while the others fled across the Thai border, police announced at a news conference in the remote administrative capital Naypyidaw.
Police said that three grenades had been thrown into the crowds. Another device, made with a beer can filled with explosive powder and attached by detonation wire to a mobile telephone, failed to explode.
Members of a movement calling itself the Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors, armed with AK-47 assault rifles and grenades, stormed the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok in 1999 and took 38 hostages.
Myanmar has been hit by several bomb blasts in recent years which the junta has blamed on armed exile groups or ethnic rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video