Myanmar police accuse exile group for Yangon blasts
Naypyidaw: Myanmar police on Thursday said they had arrested a man in connection with deadly blasts in a Yangon park last month, blaming the attacks on a militant exile group opposed to the ruling junta.
A series of explosions on April 15 left 10 people dead and dozens wounded as thousands of people gathered for water-throwing festivities to mark the Buddhist New Year, in the worst attack in five years in Myanmar`s main city.
"This brutal act was committed by four terrorist murderers who are members of a group known as the Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors," Myanmar police chief Khin Yi said.
One suspect was arrested while the others fled across the Thai border, police announced at a news conference in the remote administrative capital Naypyidaw.
Police said that three grenades had been thrown into the crowds. Another device, made with a beer can filled with explosive powder and attached by detonation wire to a mobile telephone, failed to explode.
Members of a movement calling itself the Vigorous Burmese Student Warriors, armed with AK-47 assault rifles and grenades, stormed the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok in 1999 and took 38 hostages.
Myanmar has been hit by several bomb blasts in recent years which the junta has blamed on armed exile groups or ethnic rebels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof